It’s not as difficult as you think to clean a keyboard, but it can be tricky! A recent survey found that computer keyboards on Work From Home (WFH) or office desks are way dirtier than a toilet seat!
Another survey conducted by Which group (which.co.uk) found that out of 33 keyboards in its office, the company found four harboured enough bacteria to be potential health hazards.
One keyboard was particularly contaminated and had to be trashed due to the high bacteria levels present. This keyboard had five times more germs than one of the office’s toilet seats and 150 times more than the level the group considers safe.
Germs like E.coli, staphylococcus and salmonella cause food poisoning found in people’s keyboards. These may cause severe illness and sometimes may also lead to death.
These findings emphasise the importance of regularly cleaning keyboards and other surfaces that come into contact with our hands.
Here are simple steps to clean your keyboard.
- Unplug the keyboard and turn it upside down to shake out any loose dirt or debris.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to remove any remaining dirt and debris from the keyboard’s surface. Be careful not to vacuum too forcefully, as you do not want to damage the keyboard.
- Dampen a clean cloth with distilled water or a mild cleaning solution, such as a water mixture and vinegar or use anti-bacterial wipes. Gently wipe down the keyboard’s surface, taking care not to get any liquids inside the keys.
- Allow the keyboard to air-dry completely before using it again.
- Repeat this cleaning process as often as necessary to keep your keyboard clean and free of harmful bacteria.
Keyboard Cleaning Professional Products
If you work in a high-performance industry such as gaming or finance, you understand the importance of having a clean keyboard. Any dirt on the keyboard might reduce your chances of winning the game or losing trade.
Some professional products are specifically designed to clean keyboards, such as compressed air, keyboard wipes, and liquid cleaners.
Using Compressed Air To Blow Debris Out
To clean your keyboard more thoroughly, you can use compressed air to blow debris and dust out between the keys.
Hold the can of compressed air upright and spray it in short bursts over the keyboard’s surface. Be sure to hold the can upright so that no liquid is released from the can, as this could damage the keyboard.
Allow the keyboard to air-dry completely before using it again.
Gel Keyboard Cleaner For Hard to Reach
Another option for cleaning your keyboard is to use a gel keyboard cleaner. This is a putty-like substance that can be used to clean hard-to-reach places, such as between the keys on a keyboard.
To use a gel keyboard cleaner, press it into the areas you want to clean and then lift it away, taking the dirt and debris.
Keyboard Wipes for Dirt
Another option for cleaning your keyboard is to use keyboard wipes. These are pre-moistened wipes that can be used to quickly and easily clean your keyboard.
To use a keyboard wipe, remove one from the packaging and gently wipe it over the keyboard’s surface. Be sure to avoid getting any liquid inside the keys.
Liquid Cleaners Perfect for Stains
If you want to use a liquid cleaner on your keyboard, use a mild cleaning solution, such as a mixture of water and vinegar. You can also use anti-bacterial wipes.
To use a liquid cleaner, simply dampen a clean cloth with the cleaning solution and gently wipe down the keyboard’s surface. Be sure to avoid getting any liquids inside the keys.
Protecting expensive keyboards
Gaming keyboards are expensive because they offer several features that regular keyboards do not. They often have backlighting, which makes them easier to see in low-light conditions, and they may also have programmable keys that can be customised to suit the player’s needs.
Some gaming keyboards even come with touchpads or built-in trackballs.
A good quality keyboard can cost as much as £300, so it is essential to take care of it.
To ensure that your keyboard stays looking and working like new, there are a few things you can do:
- Invest in a quality keyboard cover or skin. This will protect your keyboard from dirt and spills, but it will also help keep the keys from fading.
- Avoid eating or drinking near your keyboard. Even if you are careful, accidents can happen.
- Clean your keyboard regularly with compressed air, a gel keyboard cleaner, or keyboard wipes.
- Be careful when using cleaning solutions on your keyboard. Only use a mild solution of water and vinegar or anti-bacterial wipes. Avoid getting any liquids inside the keys.
With proper care, your gaming keyboard should last for many years. You can keep your keyboard looking and working like new by taking these simple steps.
Hire a professional cleaning company
If you are a large company with multiple computers and keyboards, or you do not have the time to clean your keyboard yourself, you can hire a professional cleaning company to do it for you.
Several companies in the UK offer electronics cleaning services, and they will come to your office to clean your equipment for you.
The cost of hiring a professional cleaning company will vary depending on the company you choose and the number of electrical equipment that needs to be cleaned. However, it is generally an affordable way to keep your electronics clean with other cleaning services and to look like new.
We can include office desk cleaning services, computer screen cleaning, and other electronics cleaning services as a professional cleaning company.
We understand the importance of cleanliness in the workplace, so we offer a comprehensive keyboard cleaning service that will leave your keyboard looking and working like new.
Please contact us today to learn more about our office cleaning services or schedule a free consultation.